looks very nice

Thanks. It could certainly do with some improvements, as it doesn't seem very intuitive at the moment - so I'm hoping someone with a better sense of UI design will come along and offer suggestions...

was your concept to use it as a menu? Or as a new way to navigate?

The basic idea is that tags are awesome, but easily under-used.
Large collections of tiddlers can be very intimidating, for authors and readers alike. Tagging helps, but the usual single-level constraint is limiting - especially because it constitutes a certain asymmetry between assignment and retrieval. The ability to drill into such collections by gradually refining the filter should lighten the cognitive load. In addition, I expect this to reveal relationships and "emergent hierarchies" among tiddlers. (This is not an original idea of mine, of course - sites like Delicious have long allowed multi-tag browsing. Nevertheless, the concept seems exceptionally well-suited to the tiddler model and dynamic presentation in a TiddlyWiki.)

I've started experimenting with this on TiddlyWeb documentation, which proved useful and led to some unexpected insights:
    http://tiddlyweb.peermore.com/wiki/#Navigation
(One of these insights is that more consistent tagging would be useful.)

-- F.