Thank you so much @Soren Bjornstad, that works perfectly! I think I tried
something close to that at one point, I just messed up the syntax!

@iamdar my use case is that I want to be able to mass-produce
wikipedia-style bios for individuals, where the the same basic info comes
up in multiple parts of the 'article'/tiddler.

For example, in the opening line, it might say "John Smith was born in
MadeupLand", the side bar might also mention he was born in MadeupLand. If
I link both references to MadeupLand through a field i.e. using <$link
to={{!!birthcountry}} /> then I only have to specify the country John Smith
was born in once, in the field. If I iterate this process 100 times (using
the same code for most of the body of the article, just customising it with
novel information) it saves a lot of typing.

Another advantage is that it makes it easier to call groups of people who
share a particle bit of vital information, without necessary creating a tag
for, say, "born in 1872" (which, I could do...it just seemed clunky?). The
main example that comes to mind is using surnames as a way to list every
individual from a particular patrilineal lineage (assuming it's an unusual
surname that unrelated individuals are unlikely to share within my
group...I could also have a specific familyID field).