Would like to se a re-focus onto that top field, ie. to where the
chosen tags are listed. Currently, after selecting a second tag from
a longer(!) list as in your supplied example, the focus is set to the
top of the resulting list.

I'm guessing this should addess that issue:
http://trac.tiddlywiki.org/changeset/11907
http://svn.tiddlywiki.org/Trunk/contributors/FND/plugins/TagsplorerMacro.js

Found a minor bug in the v1.2.0
<<tagsplorer>> (no parameters)
returns a error. . .(type error: tags is undefined)

Oops - should be fixed now. Good catch.

one more addition. . . can you exclude multiple tags?

Nope - I didn't wanna make it too complex. (In fact, I was considering just hardcoding the "excludeLists" tag, making the parameter a simple boolean value.)

need to compare v1.1 vs v1.2 to figure how you did it

That's why I linked you to the diff (changeset) before.
Seems like adding support for multiple exclude tags as per above would be a good exercise.

-- F.