> I'm not sure if we can and if we should provide this functionality. ...
> Markdown editors expect a common format if they read .md files. Using TW
> fields at the top is not standard for markdown.

Agreed. If we do add support for meta data in markdown files it would then
be prudent to consider the YAML frontmatter format which is becoming quite
commonplace:
https://jekyllrb.com/docs/front-matter/
https://gohugo.io/content-management/front-matter/

Now I better duck before Jeremy throws something at me for mentioning YAML.