On Thursday, August 19, 2021 at 4:23:05 PM UTC-5 jamm... wrote:

> Thanks for clarifying, Tones and Soren. I had the impression that
> TiddlyWiki was more cookie cutter, or could be if I didn't add or alter
> code. "A no-code personal wiki system," I heard TW called. But yes, I was
> seeing this as a future-proofing mechanism where I might want to migrate
> some- or everything stored in TiddlyWiki to a different platform in the
> future.

There is a bit of a dilemma here in that the more of TiddlyWiki's features
you take advantage of, the harder it will be to migrate to another system –
but if you don't take advantage of all TiddlyWiki's features, then you
might be misled into thinking it won't meet your needs by itself when it
actually will.

On the other hand, I don't think “cookie-cutter” is a good characterization
of TiddlyWiki at all. In fact I would say it's exactly the opposite…the
cool thing about TW is that without having to go into a “real” programming
language, you can make it do essentially whatever you want. You might check
out my Zettelkasten <https://zettelkasten.sorenbjornstad.com>, for
instance, which I've built up from empty.html to a powerful custom platform
over time. I have written only a couple of tiny snippets of JavaScript for
that wiki, everything else is just wikitext. And since both the code and
the data are within a single system, it is extremely easy to tweak things
as you go along.

I'm with Tones in that you're probably best off diving into TiddlyWiki and
not worrying about portability. Your stuff certainly isn't getting *trapped* in
TiddlyWiki, you might just have to figure out how to manually translate
some TiddlyWiki idioms to a new medium. And you'll probably be pleasantly
surprised what you can do with the TiddlyWiki medium – if you let yourself
dive in and take advantage of everything it has to offer.