On Saturday, August 21, 2021 at 11:13:18 PM UTC+2 Mark S. wrote:

I have a forum with groups.io. After the initial transfer fee it has been
> free. It includes mail services. It works just like you would expect a
> forum to work. I can't help but feel that people jumped on Discourse
> because it's the shiny software of the day.

That's a pure e-mail list, that can't be compared to Google Groups or any
other web based discussion forum. ... The free tier is for 100 members. The
20$ per month tier is for 500 members and the enterprise tier for 1000
members goes up to 200$/month + 0.20$ per additional user

This Group here has more than 1000 users and the goal of the new platform
is to increase the number of users. ... So please compare apples with
apples!
The pricing page: https://groups.io/static/pricing

just my thought.
-mario