Yes, I will probably upgrade to 5.2 then to get that specific feature.

Thank you for the doc ref, there seem to be many possibilities to customize
functionality.

The last block of example code means that I should create the config
tiddlers without the $:/ prefix if I want them to appear in the sidebar UI?