On Thursday, November 4, 2021 at 4:38:55 AM UTC-7 Mat wrote:

> I just came up with a simple idea for how to create comboboxes. Basically
> it is an EditTextWidget just before the SelectWidget and the select widget
> is styled to only show the arrow and both widgets refer to the same field.

My `<<edit-list>>` macro initially use a similar approach, but I found that
it had too many problems with both interaction and appearance.  I also
wanted to support use of inline lists (where the listbox is visible below
the input fied), multiple selection (using standard shift-click/ctrl-click
interaction), confirmation of input (ok/cancel), progressive filtering
(reducing the list choices to only those that contain the current edit
field input), and integration with my popup Calendar for selecting and
formatting date input (see
https://tiddlytools.com/timer.html#TiddlyTools%2FTime%2FCalendar) .

The result still uses an underlying edit-text and select widget, but they
are surrounded by a bunch of custom wikitext code to handle lots of options
and use-cases.

Check it out here: https://tiddlytools.com/edit-list.html
To see it in action, view
https://tiddlytools.com/edit-list.html#TiddlyTools%2FMacros%2Fedit-list%2FExamples