Thanks Eric. I also have other ways of achieving the end result, but with
the direct editing of currentTiddler fields in TW 5.2.0 I thought I had
come across a very simple solution for a simple combobox.

However, some further experimenting shows that the lost focus was easily
solved by just removing the placeholder reference to edited field. Not even
sure what I was thinking (why should it refer to there?). Also unnecessary
with the selectwidget default stuff.
Thus the remaining two problems are:

1) When the <option> tag has a value, this is what is shown in the editor.
2) The popup should be pushed to the left but I can't find the css selector
for it! A less elegant workaround is to simply put the (still styled)
SelectWidget before the EditTextWidget, so the button is to the left of the
editor.

And here's the simplified code. When used you see the problems.

<$edit-text field=selection placeholder="type or select"/>
<$select field=selection class="select-btn" >
<option value='cities'>A Tale of Two Cities</option>
<option value='science'>A New Kind of Science</option>
<option value='dice'>The Dice Man</option>
</$select>

.select-btn {width:19px; margin-left:-4px;}