Hello,

That worked perfectly, thanks! I knew there was some kind of syntax trick I
was missing. Honestly, the reason for the two gender loops was just my own
confusion. Intuitively, I couldn't think of another way to list
parent-child relationships in a way that was agnostic towards which parent
it was - now I realise I could have had
[field:mother{!!title}]>></td>
 and that would have worked.

Looking at it, I agree there are still possibly needless loops - although
it does the job, so I'm not complaining!

<$vars haschild="[all[tiddlers]field:mother{!!title}limit[1]]">
<$list filter="[all[current]gender[female]filter<haschild>]">
</$list>
</$vars>
<$vars haschild="[all[tiddlers]field:father{!!title}limit[1]]">
<$list filter="[all[current]gender[male]filter<haschild>]">
</$list>
</$vars>

I've tinkered with it to produce this:
<$vars
haschild="[all[tiddlers]field:mother{!!title}field:father{!!title}sum[]limit[1]]">
<$list filter="[all[current]filter<haschild>]">
[field:father{!!title}]>></td>
</$list>
</$vars>

Which seems to work and is a lot less wordy

Thanks a lot!