Hi Aidan,
 I rarely check the Google Group and I may recommend to join us
at https://talk.tiddlywiki.org/
 Your post is seen on https://talk.tiddlywiki.org/ but no one can reply you
there!

 Regarding your questions: Mat answered correctly your questions.
 I really welcome and encourage you to work on TW palette an area needs
more attentions!

There are several good previous work you can find in Color play

- http://j.d.palette.tiddlyspot.com/
- https://cdruan.github.io/tw5-captivate/
-
https://tid.li/tw5/apps/bricks.html#%24%3A%2Fapps%2Ftelmiger%2Fbricks%2Fpaletteeditor
- http://tw5custom.tiddlyspot.com/#%24%3A%2Fpalettes%2FBluish
- https://tid.li/tw5/plugins.html#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Ftelmiger%2FColorAction

Also see https://colorplay.tiddlyhost.com/#Referencs

Difficulties: There is no few base colors to adjust them and color pallet
generate shades accordingly for all UI elements
Dreams: Have a UI with 3-4 or maximum 5 colors to set and see the color
scheme
Colorplay is an effort to implement the above dream! It is partially
successful.

Lets continue this discussion
here:
https://talk.tiddlywiki.org/t/tw5-selectors-and-colorplay-definitions-and-examples/1491