Thank you so much for your help, Mario! This conversation did kick a cog
into gear in my head and I realized that the filtered transclusion was
returning a list and that is distinct from a string with spaces. so I added
a +[join[ ]] to my expression and that got me the result I wanted.
Which, for the use case where I first encountered this, that actually
worked perfectly.

<$let n={{{ [[foo]][[bar]] }}}>
<<n>>
</$let>

<$let n={{{ [[foo]][[bar]] +[join[ ]] }}}>
<<n>>
</$let>
<!-- foo bar -->