I've always found it tricky to know how big a TiddlyWiki is and how
much of it I've consumed.

Indeed, the curse of hypertext...

I've just written a plugin that aims to help with this - it shows you
how much of the current document you have read and provides links to
both the read and unread tiddlers.

This is very neat - I can very well imagine myself using this on a regular basis.
Which reveals a bit of an issue: This relies on the document author to include your plugin. Would it be possible to turn this into a bookmarklet, thus giving the reader the choice?

The source is here:
http://jrlplugins.tiddlyspace.com/readCountPlugin

FWIW, if you set that's tiddler's "server.content-type" field to "text/javascript", it will appear as raw source - example:
    http://jrlplugins.tiddlyspace.com/TiddlyWebConfig
    http://jrlplugins.tiddlyspace.com/TiddlyWebConfig.txt

This might also help with dynamic loading via a bookmarklet.

-- F.