Hi Jen,

I would think about using a search plugin instead of using a filter.
YourSearch plugin [1] is excellent: in your case you would type "R" or
"Reb" and the options would be presented to you.

I place seach at the top left of my TW. That way when Your search is
doing its business, you can see the results without the underlying
page scrolling. The easy way is to add "<<search>" to MainMenu

Alternatively FND's listnav might suit your needs

Alex
[1] http://tiddlywiki.abego-software.de/#YourSearchPlugin
[2] http://svn.tiddlywiki.org/Trunk/contributors/FND/plugins/ListNavMacro.js