> Since we're at it, in what respect is...
> store.removeTiddler a higher level method than store.getTiddler
> (or store.getTiddler higher than store.fetchTiddler)

The high-level getTiddler method uses low-level fetchTiddler:
http://trac.tiddlywiki.org/browser/Trunk/core/js/TiddlyWiki.js?rev=12238#L97
http://trac.tiddlywiki.org/browser/Trunk/core/js/TiddlyWiki.js?rev=12238#L16

Same for deleteTiddler/removeTiddler.

> Why two implementations to begin with? How many more of these
> "duplicates" are there? I think it were good if an article on
> tiddlywiki.org explained this.

It's not unusual to have multiple layers of abstraction. I think Mike
covered some of this:
http://tiddlywiki.org/wiki/Dev:Introduction
http://softwareas.com/tiddlywiki-internals-1-of-3-architectural-concepts

(we might wanna move this conversation to [twdev])

-- F.