> Going forwards, we'd like to keep refining and improving the base
> theme in response to feedback, hopefully with regular updates.

I think that's a good idea and general philosophy. Plugin or theme
authors may extend their contents and thus automatically extend the
spaces including them ...even if at the risk of breaking stuff here
and there ...assuming minor consequences or at least information as to
why the changes and how to adapt. At least, that's the kind of
flexible and iterative approach I would find to be the most agile,
hence fruitful.

Cheers, Tobias.