> i don't understand the rationale behind your code: [...]
> To me, the fadeOut value is set using a function which calls fadeIn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callback_(computer_science)

We're passing in a function as an argument*. This function will be
executed once (IOW deferred until) the fadeOut animation has completed.
Since that's an asynchronous operation, we can't just provide a sequence
of statements like "fadeOut(); fadeIn();".

Because of its non-sequential nature, asynchronous programming can seem
a little weird at first (and, with JavaScript, often requires a good
understanding of closures and variable scope), but it's not so bad once
you wrap your head around it.

-- F.

* FWIW, it might be less confusing this way:
    var callback = function(ev) {
        jQuery(this).fadeIn();
    };
    jQuery(place).fadeOut(callback);