Thank you Scott.  Yes, refreshing does fix the problem, but I can't
guarantee that other users will be so forgiving.  I notice that Eric's
nestedSliderPlugin has some code specifically for IE... something
about "clipping problems?"  Interesting also that IE8 is singled out
as being a bit problematic with fonts, by, for example
http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_font_font-variant.asp
which says that:
  The value "inherit" is not supported in IE7 and earlier. IE8
requires a !DOCTYPE. IE9 supports "inherit".
Unfortunately, I need this to work on IE systems.  Should I perhaps be
playing with the !DOCTYPE?