> refreshing does fix the problem, but I can't guarantee that other users
> will be so forgiving

I can appreciate that.  Unfortunately, I don't enough about the root cause
to recommend a reliable fix that works on IE8.  :(

> Unfortunately, I need this to work on IE systems. Should I perhaps be
> playing with the !DOCTYPE?

TiddlyWiki seems to have a reliable and accurate Doctype declaration
already, and I doubt that changing it would affect the display of JS-hidden
fonts when they're displayed.  Plus, you run the risk of cascading problems
that could affect TiddlyWiki and your installed plugins if the Doctype
doesn't match the contents of the file (the TiddlyWiki).  I'd have to say
there's more potential for peril than success down that road.

I don't think inheritance is the problem, either.  From what you've
described, it sounds like the right font is being displayed in the slider
but it's not properly smoothed for readability when it's first displayed.
The refresh redraws the characters, so there might be a way to force
refreshing of certain elements on the page using JS, but if so, it's not
readily apparently to me.

Silly question, but:  Is an upgrade to IE9 feasible, or are you in an
XP-only environment (or bound to IE8 by other considerations)?