Try something like:

<<tagsTree menu "" 2 4>>

from the 'mainmenu' tiddler.

Then tag any tiddlers you want to appear in the mainmenu with 'menu' -
eg a tiddler called 'projects' with tag 'menu'
Then tag any tiddlers you want to appear under 'projects' with the
name of the tiddler - eg a tiddler called 'TiddlyWikiPluginProject'
with tag 'projects'
etc. etc.

The 2 refers to the number of levels deep to expand on the tree
automatically, and the 4 refers to the maximum depth of tiddlers to
show on the tree.

See if these seems to work - otherwise if you could drop me the sample
TiddlyWiki / Tiddlers you have created I'll take a look and see what
might be wrong.

Tx

Simon.