Eric has been right at the centre of TiddlyWiki since almost the
beginning, and his willingness to share his expertise is now one of
the hallmarks of our community. I've been privileged to spend many
happy evenings chewing the fat with him in Sunnyvale. I'll pick up
some of the other topics from this thread separately, but the main
thing is to address Eric's central crisis. I'll explain what I've
tried to do in the past, and what I plan to do now.

When I joined BT I tried to address Eric's needs by persuading BT to
support UnaMesa, which they have generously continued to do after my
departure (albeit the amount has been reduced in recent years in line
with BT's internal cost cutting programme). We failed, though, to
bring any other supporters on board, making it hard to give Eric the
level of income he deserves.

The thing that might not be clear from the outside is that at the time
of the Osmosoft acquisition BT weren't really terribly interested in
TiddlyWiki itself; they wanted to bring me on board to help them
understand open source and to learn how to use it sensibly. TiddlyWiki
was part of my qualifications, but not really of specific interest.

That's changed now; Osmosoft is all about TiddlySpace, TiddlyWeb and
TiddlyWiki. If the projects using them really take hold in BT then
perhaps we'll be able to persuade BT to offer more support to the
community.

Now I've chosen to leave BT because I crave the independence of being
able to work with a much wider range of clients. I don't expect a
great deal of my consultancy work to be directly about TiddlyWiki, but
it will absolutely be *because of* TiddlyWiki. So, one of my first
goals is to give some love and polish to TiddlyWiki, to make it be a
decent calling card. I love coding, and haven't done nearly enough for
a long time.

Now, Eric's work makes TiddlyWiki better and brighter, and so it makes
sense for me to try to support him directly out of my consultancy
income. I'll commit to a regular monthly donation, that will hopefully
rise as I get my teeth into my new working life.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jer...@osmosoft.com