On Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:21:06 PM UTC+7, Bauwe Bijl wrote:

> Another option is to use a portable browser from an usb stick.

Note that a regular hard-disk system benefits from the portable approach -
99% of the apps I use on a daily basis are sync'd along with my data
between multiple machines/locations, so my version updating, config
tweaking etc only needs to be done once and is automatically replicated to
my other desktops. Unison lets me work on multiple locations between sync
cycles and get the most recent changes from multiple machines, only
occasionally do I need to use diff/merge tools.

Actually running from a USB device can be horribly slow, even if you're
using that as your transport mechanism, much better to incorporate a
sync-work-sync cycle into your workflow. Constant backups a side benefit as
well.

Måns and I discussed options to make portable-apps distro agnostic (which
> is possible already!)...but the real goal: "OS agnostic portable tiddlywiki
> browser" would be the best thing...a tiddlywiki editing machine.

To me one of TW's traditionally compelling features is the ability to
carry/send a single, "generic, data-only" html+js file and give the full TW
experience to anyone with any reasonably modern browser.

Creating a proprietary browser specifically to cope with TW's
implementation seems a major step in exactly the opposite direction, and I
very fervently hope that Jeremy's renewed efforts on core's "next gen" will
get us back to "any modern browser" compatibility (or at least with FF 4+,
IE 8+ and Chrome).

Or has that become too difficult these days? I'm genuinely asking as I
don't have a clue about javascript "standards". . .