There is a consensus here that the project really needs more centralized
documentation, especially howto's for newbies.

In the meantime I highly recommend for "mere-mortal end users" that you
spend your first months or two getting to know TW in its traditional
all-in-one-HTML form, starting out with the core and later on trying out
the most popular plugins. For minimum headaches, I recommend the last
version of FF 3.6, available as a portable app if you need to also have a
newer version installed.

>From there, if server-side storage is critical for you, pick one and work
with it for a while. Or, continue your theming/plugin education by
reverse-engineering some of the "packaged distros" (core+theme+plugins).

The list here is very helpful, but of course only if you have specific
questions and in the case of problems, provide the needed specific
information on your setup <http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>.

If you'd rather use something with a flatter learning curve, let us know
what you're trying to accomplish and I'm sure you'll get some good
recommendations.