On Apr 27, 11:34 am, twgrp <matiasg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Mario, but probably of interest for all
>
> Google Drive... actually... I'm beginning to think this might be a
> viable way after all.
not at all
see:
http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-cloud-privacy-rights-20120424,0,3469998.story?track=icymi
and several others.

> Thus, from a show-via-TW point, you have all the desired features as
> far as I can tell:
yes, but the API needed to access the stuff by program, also links to
the same dev TOS mentioned in my last post. So for me this is a "no
go" at the moment. Imo there is no problem, to just access the stuff.
But loading it to a 3rd party service (TS) is a problem.

There are other services that don't treat there customers that way.
But needs some more investigation.

> One point with Picasa is the surrounding system to show albums etc -
> but this is exactly what we don't use when we want it via TW instead.
Right. But remember my very fist post [1]. I did implement a TW
gallery function allready. The only thing I couldn't do with fancybox
plugin [2], was to connect to "picture storage services" like flikr or
picasa. Now knowing there API TOS, I don't want to connect with them.
But this is my personal point of view.

Having a closer look to the concept used for fanxybox, it seems to be
right. I did use AttachFilePlugin and attachment tiddlers, to store
the needed meta info [3]. May be a bit more / better documentation
would make the stuff easier to use. but I'll stick to the concept and
have a closer look to other cloud services.

> IMO, Google Drive is pretty much all anyone could wish for - or?
I did have a short look at the site HTML structure and it seems the
"thumbnail view" is a browser resized full version of the picture. At
least for my test pics (~30kByte). May be if the pics are bigger, they
are replaced by real thumbs. This overview can't be compared to a
picture gallery view, it's just a list of files.

Technically I'd prefer the picasa API over the drive "File API". It's
much less work client side and it's totally different purpose too.

> Also, I can imagine that it would be desirable for a TW user to be
> able to generate a gallery in TW showing not only pics but also eg a
> document or so. (Maybe not for vacation pictures, but definitely as
> part of work projects etc). Then the "picture gallery concept" that
> this whole thread has been concerned about is really generalized into
> a "document management concept".
>
> Thoughts?
Yea, that's the little problem with threads like this. Starting from
the desire, to display a little gallery overview. To be a "document
management system" at the end :)

That's the reason, why my first reaction was: *thinking: don't touch
it.*[1]

have fun!
mario
PS: Atm I don't intend to add more stuff to the picasa gallery spaces.
I think the basic online functions work.
PPS: The "Authenticated Album" will get a bit more documentation.

[1] https://groups.google.com/group/tiddlywiki/msg/0b8ca3d3e66cf70f
[2] http://fancybox.tiddlyspace.com/
[3] http://fancybox.tiddlyspace.com/#01.jpg
[4] http://picasagallery.tiddlyspace.com/