Thanks for your suggestion Måns. The main drawback of using the Google
document viewer is, as that site says, that the pdfs need to be
online. I like to use Tiddlywiki to organise my local pdf collection.
I have the Tiddlywiki generate a listing based on the pdf files in a
certain directory and want to develop a template that will allow me to
easily navigate back and forth between the text of the pdf and my
notes on it. So far PMario's browser plugin solution is working quite
well, but I'm still planning to look into writing a tiddlywiki plugin
for maximum portability.

P.S. PMario, I just discovered your "simplicity" tiddlyspace and I
really love it!