In the TableEditor plugin I use
tiddler.set(tiddler.title,newtext,tiddler.modifier,new Date()) +
store.setDirty(true)     to save the tiddler text in memory, and
saveChanges(null, [tiddler])   to save the tiddler to file. This way the
tiddler gets saved but the page does not refresh. It seems not causing
serious troubles so far.

Have fun!

Vincent