On Wed, 2 Jan 2013, stevesuny wrote:

(with the familiar
lament that Tiddlyspace remains hard to figure out how to do things like
answer questionnaires in a social space, so rather than try to figure out
the "reply to tiddler" thing that continues to baffle me, I decided to
sketch out answers inline below):

Often this lament is sourced in there being too many ways to do
things and points out that despite TiddlySpace's efforts to be an
application of the TiddlyWeb platform, it is itself a platform on
which there are many applications and thus many ways of being. This
is probably a key piece in the force at play discussed below.

I think the concepts developed from using tiddly as an experimental
platform might be replicated in other platforms: I remain unconvinced that
tiddlyspace (and tiddly in general) can move beyond a development
platform.  I might be wrong: mediawiki has demonstrated that the broad
public community can particiapte in using the wiki world, but I'm not sure
that tiddlywiki (and perhaps especially tiddlyspace) can or should become
that kind of platform.

This is an interesting observation and almost certainly true given
the current approach to development, marketing, documentation, etc.
Without focus it is many things to many people, doing many things in
many ways.

I'd be very interested in seeing advances in rendering of tiddlyspace in a
more friendly html context, so that my readers woulnd't necessarily feel
like they were in tiddly, but more in familiar html land.  Something like a
media-wiki skin for tiddlyspace: so that as an author, I could still use
tagging and transclusion, but as a reader, it would be more html-ish.  I've
seen some themes that do this, and I probalby need to explore more because
my sense is it exists already...

There are pieces, but they are not assembled into a coherent whole.
There are options, in and out of tiddlywiki, for presenting a single
page in a "normal wiki" kind of way. A critical missing piece is
support for the more advanced kind of tag handling that you do. I
don't perceive any technical roadblocks to such a piece existing: it
ought to be possible.

And then: more important: I'd like to see tiddlyspace move a bit into
creating a new role for the "group" -- to be useful in a higher education
setting, which for better or worse has significant issues with copyright
and privacy, I need for students in my classes to be able to have a private
space for reading, without the ability to write.  Less access than members,
more access than public. So I could mark each semi-private tiddler public
to a limited number of readers.  And then I'd need some systems to manage
access across a list of account holders.

Marking individual tiddlers semi-private is not a direct
possibility. Bags are the arbiters of access control so when you set
a policy on a bag you are setting it for all the tiddlers in there.
This was a core decision in the early design of TiddlyWeb based on
observations Jeremy had made of people using more granular access
management tools.

However the concept you want, what I would call a "protected bag",
is possible. That would be a bag which has a restricted read policy
and a more restricted write and create policy. For your purposes you
could set up the read policy to be a role, and give all the various
students that role for the duration of the class.

Then that bag could be included in one or more spaces.

Again, the tools for managing this sort of thing are not (yet)
brilliant.

Best wishes to the tiddlyspace community for a productive new year!

Thanks for your continued efforts and inputs. It's really great to
have the work that you are doing as a part of the project.

The coming year is full of all kinds of opportunities for
TiddlySpace. We need to marshal some resources, pick some goals, and
make it happen.

--
Chris Dent                                   http://burningchrome.com/
                                [...]