Hi TonyM,
A week ago I too was for the first time ever seriously contemplating the
possibility that I had reached the end of the road with TW.
Thanks to the new version of TiddlyFox and several hours spent on
reconstruction/restoration of all my foreign characters, here's what's
currently working for me:

TW version 2.7.1
TW file stored in Dropbox (tiddlysaver.jar in the same folder)
Brand new, "clean" install of Firefox 19.0.2 (losing everything previously
saved in prefs.js - where I had previously hard-coded permissions for my
files - and reinstalling a bare minimum of Add-ons).
TiddlyFox 1.0alpha11
Knocking on wood every time I save.

My TW file is more than 4MB and contains many plugins, but I do not use
LessBackupsPlugin OR ImportTiddlersPlugin. I've tried to remove all traces
of previous methods for saving in Firefox (e.g., CoreTweaks from Eric and
other privilege managing plugins).  For good measure, it might be worth
taking a hard look at any plugin that contains the word "Netscape"?

I still can't reliably "mess around" by downloading empty TW files and
experimenting with plugins that people have recently shared.  It seems
inevitable that I will eventually wind up with the "can't save error" you
pasted in.  I'm doing no messing around in my main file.

Because I've also been finding that FF slows to a crawl after a couple of
hours, I've been regularly shutting it down and restarting.
Reading Jeremy's message makes me think that may be important for more than
just my own impatience?!
cmari