Mat asked:
> > is tiddlyfox obsolete for this edition?

Mario replied:
> The external stuff is there to enable browser caching for parts of the TW
> core. Mainly used with TiddlySpace. IMO it makes no sense with file TWs,
> since you need to deal with several files.
> I think, there will be no possibilities to save file TWs without TiddlyFox in
> the near future.

His question wasn't actually about the external stuff.... rather it
was about the HTML5-based "download saving" functionality that is now
in TW2.8.0...

TiddlyFox still provides "direct file I/O" ability when running a
local TW in FireFox.  This gives you the ability to save all four
target files: main file, backup, XML, and empty.html (depending upon
your AdvancedSettings, of course).  However, if you don't install/
enable TiddlyFox, HTML5 "download saving" can still be used to save
your main file (though not the backup, XML or empty.html).

HTML5 download saving not only lets you save local TWs in FireFox
(v20+) without TiddlyFox, it also lets you save local TWs in Chrome
(v26+) or Opera (v15+) without TiddlySaver.jar... and, in addition,
HTML5 download also lets you save local copies of TWs directly from an
online source, without first downloading the file!

Try this:
1) go to http://www.TiddlyWiki.com
2) edit a tiddler (just add something to HelloThere)
3) press "save changes"

... instead of getting that annoying error: "You need to save this
TiddlyWiki to a file before you can save changes"... it 'downloads'
the document **from current memory**... including any tiddler changes
you've made, and gives you the opportunity to save that file locally.
Once stored on your filesystem, you can open the local copy to
continue editing and saving using either direct file I/O (if enabled)
or HTML5 "local download" handling.

enjoy,
-e