Eric Shulman said the following on 10/20/2013 10:05 PM:

    What are those breaks being inserted?

If http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#HTMLFormattingPlugin is installed (to
permit "mixed mode" wiki+HTML syntax), it will affect the way linebreaks
are handled within HTML blocks.   You can prevent this by adding "<hide
linebreaks>" or "<nowiki>" to your HTML content.

See http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#HTMLFormattingPluginInfo for details.

I'll certainly look into that, Eric, but I want to emphasise one thing.

There are *NO* line breaks in the HTML I'm supplying.
They are being inserted by the plugin.

If I take the content of my template and use it as a plain html file and view that in firefox it comes out laid out the way I expect, no superfluous spacing.

As I said, when I went in with the debugger to the TiddlyWiki/plugin-transformed version there were ADDED line breaks -

That's very idiomatic, the space after the "br" and putting it in a span. I most definitely do not write HTML like **THAT**!!!

So I ask, will the HTMLFormattingPlugin eliminate line breaks and the span generated by another plugin? Will the order of invocation matter?

--
It is therefore not unreasonable to suppose that some portion of the neglect of science in England, may be attributed to the system of education we pursue.
   -- Charles Babbage