Unfortunately, I'm unable to attend the hangouts due to scheduling conflict
but I am definitely interested in this idea.

For my application, I have "submissions" which relate to "works" and to
"venues".  A dropdown I would use would show, for example, all the names of
"works" currently entered. That alone would be useful, but additionally, if
possible, it would be very helpful to present the user with a
ComboBox<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combo_box>.
The "combo" part would allow for both the creation of a new works entry,
along with the insertion of its name in the related field in the submission
entry.