Sorry, my english (and sometimes my thoughts) may not be accurate enough to
explain with simplicity what to do exactly.

I've verified and I have no error in the tiddler where I use the macro.
I've not managed to reproduce your exact error.
Which solution did you tried, the macro inside the tiddler or inside the
PagesMacro tiddler?
It is normal that the PagesMacro tiddler gives a recursion error when
viewing it (Jeremy has explained that recently). However, when you edit it,
you need to place the macro before the last line (which contains
{{$:/core/ui/PageTemplate}} )

Some shadow/tiddlers of the core TiddlyWiki are build in the way that when
you view them there is an error, but if you edit them you can see their
content. So it doesn't matter if it is in the PagesMacro tiddler.
You do not need to modify the ListItemTemplate tiddler (it is only used as
a template to display the results as a list of link with linebreaks).

@Jeremy: in fact, I'm currently working on a French guide (without
translating the core, and my translations aren't always perfect, especially
when it becomes too technical for me, like some mechanisms) with tips taken
from the TW5 site and some community's guides. My first intention was only
to have a personal reminder of the commands and some customization tips,
but it is on the way to become a real guide (but without the saving
methods), so I'm considering to share it (and now that I've wrote it...
I'll have to do it !). It's very instructive, as you can see it !