Hi Scott,

I was fiddling around with something similar yesterday.  In case it's of
interest, here's the (far more rudimentary approach than Stephan's)
approach I came up with.  Note that this doesn't make use of tags at all,
it simply finds all the tiddlers that contain a field called subtopic, and
then lists those tiddlers (alphabetically) by subtopic. You could of course
sort the lists differently, and you could filter for a particular tag by
adding, e.g., [tag[Movie], to the second list filter. I would have liked to
be able to search for tiddlers tagged with the current tiddler's title, or
even tag, but I don't know how to do that in any generic way, so I opted
instead to use a unique field name in the tiddlers I wanted in my list.

(Also, obviously, you could take out the styles; I was just seeing what I
could do with the options that already existed).

<$list filter="[!is[system]has[subtopic]each[subtopic]sort[subtopic]]"><div
class="tw-menu-list-item"><$link to={{!!subtopic}}><$view
tiddler={{!!subtopic}} field="title"/></$link>
<$list filter="[subtopic{!!subtopic}sort[title]]">
<$link to={{!!title}}><$view field="title"/> </$link>

cmari