On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 4:33:20 PM UTC+1, Timothy Groves wrote:

>  on computers, that had a fraction of the power of a mobile phone, I'd
> definitely go this route.
>
>  Unfortunately, information from the top down to the county level must
> exist in order to generate information below the county level...neighbours
> must be known, Voronoi diagrams created, Dijkstra's Algorithm run, and
> such.  We considered that, but it would mean that the start-up time would
> be sluggish, needing about 1 minute on my i7-2600.  Since we would be using
> the output data on an Atom, the performance is not good enough.

OK. one more thought :)

A while ago, I did find ArangoDB [1]. They say: "You can run ArangoDB 1.4
on a Raspberry PI." which is quite cool. ... I think it will show 100% CPU
load, if you really throw your data at it, but this would be worth a try
:)))

ArangoDB is available for many Operating systems and has a HTTP API ... no
LAMP stack :)

>From there site:

An open-source database with a flexible data model for

> documents,
> graphs,
> and key-values.
>
> Build high performance applications using a
> convenient sql-like query language or JavaScript extensions.

Having a look at there performance tests [2] they should be able to receive
data quite fast. If they can handle 150 mio documents could be tested :)
How fast you can delete the stuff ? ... I don't know :)

But the cool part here is: they can handle key-value stores and graphs. So
if you design your indexes and graph connections right, imo it should be
possible, to filter out data in portions, that could be handled by TW.

So the initial TW would be empty.
Then it loads eg the root / first / and second level of your pre-populated
tree.
Depending on the user actions. You could go down the tree, and pre-fetch
the next level of the relevant data only.

just some ideas
have fun!
mario

[1] http://arangodb.org/