It's not only about tag pill dropdown lists, it's about popups in general.
Sorry for insisting: clicking near a popup in order to close it feels
strange to me. Would it be possible to make popups click-closeable, maybe
with an additional parameter to revealWidget (closeonclick="yes",
close="click", whatever)? Or by an additional button message, say,
tw-close-originating-popup?  If Yes: I, for my part, would definitely make
it the default behaviour.

Any other thoughts?