Thank you both!

@Mario
Your per-tiddler-approach is nice! But as you mentioned in the
TiddlersBar-scroll-position-thread it would affect the modification date.
Maybe setting chkForceMinorUpdate temporary to true could help?

I've just implemented a cookie based query in the new version[1] which
saves the state globally. Hijacking editTiddler command is probably a bit
too much, but I don't know an easier way.
In the next version I would try your solution.

[1] http://autosuggest.tiddlyspace.com/#AutoSuggestPlugin