Ah, you're right. With navigation history to yes, the navigation buttons
works without switching to IE. I didn't understand that it is the
"navigation history" setting that allows the navigation buttons feature, I
thought it was the "navigation address bar" = permaview as it says "include
the target tiddler and the current story sequence".

After some tests with the back button, the behaviour remains incoherent
when navigation history = no, but maybe it has always been this way:
- Firefox + IE tab + nav history = no: back button works but swith to IE
- Firefox + IE tab + nav history = yes: back button works
- Firefox + nav history = no: nothing happens
- Firefox + nav history = yes: back button works
- IE + nav history = no: back button brings to the page before
tiddlywiki.com (the defined home page for example)
- IE + nav history = yes: back button works