hi,

i got it working without any problem on debian.
should work the same as on ubuntu.
i got the node.js package from the normal node.js website from www.nodejs.org because debian has pretty outdated packages for that. you just need to follow their instructions how to install. but its basically extracting it. but they have instructions there how to do this correctly and how to set this up. then i got git. git is available as a package on more or less all linux distros.
just install with your package manager.
then i pulled the latest unstable version using:

$ git clone git://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5.git tw5

then i have the master branch fresh from the git repo.
i currently don't know where the stable versions are residing.

then i cd into the dir:

$ cd tw5

and do a quick update of the git repo:

$ git pull

then i link npm with the git repo:

$ npm link

then its installed.

You can also use the following command to install tw stable that way:

$ npm install -g tiddlywiki

when i am not mistaken.

hope this helps somehow.

greetings,