Hi

I ran across a similar problem when developing my gTiD
system: http://wills.tiddlyspot.com/

My solution was to use fields rather than tags, since tiddlers can be
filtered according to a match with the value of a field. This technique
doesn't quite answer your question, but provides a work around.

Take for example your outline type scenario and using a field named 'type'
-- the 'type' field can take values such as:'title', 'chapter', 'section',
'sub-section', 'paragraph' ... and so on.

Tiddlers may be filtered with expressions such as: '[field:type[section]]',
'[field:type[sub-section]]' ... and so on. As these filter expressions
select only those tiddlers where the value is a match, there is no
necessity to filter out other values.

Fields and tags can be used together in filter expressions -- thus a hybrid
outline scheme can make use of fields for the main hierarchy and tags for
the details.

regards