I hope this post is not too much "off topic" :) ... but I think it's
interesting to discuss it within this thread.

On Saturday, July 19, 2014 3:41:57 AM UTC+2, Måns wrote:

> I'd like to be able to setup a "masterwiki" for students to download - and
> students should be able to take notes, do citations, answer questions,
> update & import new material directly from their own local copy of the
> "masterTW"...

Hi Måns,

This is a very interesting post! ... It makes me think a lot ...
In your feature list above you describe functions that can be done with
TiddlyWeb, TiddlySpace and / or Tank.

> I don't want to set up a TiddlySpace, TiddlyWeb or Tank backend to do
> this...

Then you write, you won't use the software, that would allow you to get it
working.
Instead you want to use software that wasn't designed to solve your
problems.

> My masterTW could be hosted on TiddlySpot, Dropbox, Owncloud, Google Docs
> or my own ftp server with a simple php script.

.... In the following lines of your post, you describe "workflows", that
work around problems, that are introduced by imo improper tools. (There is
no offence intended, even if it feels so) ....
----- <snip the workflow info> ----

Now my question is:
 - Why is TiddlyWeb / TiddlySpace / Tank failing in a way, that potential
users won't use them, even if they know it would be the right thing to use
(see Ambit project).

 - Why are the "Workarounds" more attractive, even if the "total cost of
ownership" seems to be very high, in terms of maintenance.
    - Much more training of users / students needed.
    - The "student workflow" seems to be very "fragile" and "error prone"
    - Same or more work needed to make it work.
    - ...

 - Why is Owncloud less scary than TiddlySpace or Tank?

regards
mario