Ton, Mario - thank you!

Even knowing it was TWC code, it took me quite a while to get through the block
I was having understanding the code.  What finally changed was realizing that
the part I was blocked on wasn't part of jQuery's syntax (which I've found
quite hard to grasp).  It was in fact an Immediately Invoked Function
Expression (extensively used by jQuery, but not specific to it)!

I'm quite optimistic that with this as a model, I can start producing the
buttons I need.

One question I still have:  if I want the buttons produced by the plugin to
have particular CSS properties, I presume I employ a CSS selector to recognize
the "className" passed as the fifth argument to the createTiddlyButton.  Where
should that CSS selector go, however?  And what form should it take?