I find remember the 'special' characters hard to remember - so I use this
as part of my collection of regex cheatsheets

http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/manual/Regular_expressions_1__Special_characters.html

If you are going to write javascript regex, then you need to be aware that
javascript strings use the escape for newline ("\n") etc so to put a
literal (non-special) \ into a javascript string you need to have "\\". so
we can write

var regex = /([\s\S]*)/
but to put into a string

var regexstring ="([\\s\\S]*)"