@Jeremy,

Ok, here's a matrix of possible things people might try out, including me.
Any chance you could fill this table with numbers according to spec
(=implementation)?

   - 1 means => designed / expected to work
   - 2 means => designed to work but known bug
   - 3 + means => not supported, each number preferably specifying the
   reason why

...the above of course with the expectation that a substitution will take
place.

    What's
allowed?
in
wiki
text
filter in
widget
call
param in
widget
call
widget
body
macro
call
macro
body
filter in
macro call in
macro body
param in
macro call in
macro body
filter in
widget call in
macro body
param in
widget call in
macro body
 $param$       "$param$"       <<param>>       "<<param>>"       <param>
[[<param>]]       $var$       "$var$"       $(var)$       "$(var)$"
<<var<>       "<<varA>"       <var>       [[<var>]]
Whomever else wishes to make a guess, feel free. Will be interesting to
compare results. ^_^

If provided, I will test all of the above in a meaningfully designed test
wiki.

Best wishes, Tobias.