Hi, been meaning to comment, first time, since shortly after the moratorium
but couldn't quite decide where. Stephen's post seems most appropriate. I'm
a returning user, some years ago I tried TiddlyWiki Classic to store my
notes for a book I was trying to write. I stuck with it for awhile but Real
Life intervened. I finally returned some months ago to find TiddlyWiki5
beta. I tried to get started again but hit basically the same problems,
with a few new twists, as when I first encountered TWC.

1. I've been around long enough that I knew about the need for TiddlyFox.

2. As mentioned in the discussion, I went round and round trying to figure
out what happened to empty.htm. Finally gave up and just put in a name and
found the TiddlyWiki would open.

3. I work off-line, so I look at an empty TiddlyWiki and I can't remember
the markup used. It has been a long time since TWC and there are changes.
Started using HTML in the tiddlers rather than trying to figure it out.

That I think is one big assumption made these days, "Everyone is online."
Maybe they are but I frequently run out on my data plan so I only go on
when necessary. Besides helps save the batteries on the laptop.

4. Before the moratorium I decided I should try to use more markup. And I
wanted a reference in the TiddlyWiki I was working on. So I started
importing the tiddlers to make my own reference (help) section, just like I
finally did on TWC. Nothing really in order. But I still tend to use HTML
so can copy into a web page.

5.I also tried various things like the Left Menu but frequently couldn't
get to work or didn't seem to work like the original. Did get frustrated
and basically quit to wait for TiddlyWiki to come out of beta.

6. I was excited when the TableOfContents was added but had trouble trying
to get working. Thanks to Tobias for pointing out
http://toc-tutorial.tiddlyspot.com/, now I have a TOC. Sometimes wish it
was in a Left Menu but I have a TOC. Also, Tobias, thanks for pointing to
http://tb5.tiddlyspot.com/#Markup%20Reference.

The current thread reminded me of what I have been doing with my basic
TiddlyWiki master that I copy. Can't remember all the imports or small
changes I made so went back and made a new one. Probably imported more just
to cover links from the top level that fill out details. Made a few
additions based on the recent discussions. Probably not complete, but a
start on what I think a basic TiddlyWiki would be. I've put it on Dropbox:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hjdhlbvya1yyppf/ec4FNmB1.htm?dl=0/ec4FNmB1.htm

I'm still excited about TiddlyWiki but have to agree the intial experience
leaves something to be desired. Thanks to Jeremy and all for the work
they've done on an
open source project.

Greg