So, referrring to my post above and the image, what do you say - would it
work or is there some fundamental problem?

In a way it is merely about having some fields visible in view mode.

My major concern is if is possible to use such a field as a
tiddlertitlelink in the way tag names are? I.e can "foo:bar" or "bar" (i.e
"foo" hidden) linkified and still work as a field? Maybe it only has to be
linkified at the moment it is displayed?

...An interesting question is then what would happen when you click it? My
thoughts are that you open a tiddler titled *bar*, i.e not with the type
visible in the title... and the type is stored as... you guessed it... a
regular field. Perhaps   "tagtype:foo". Actually not strange - it's simply
a field with the meta-data stating that when the tiddlertitle is used as a
tag, it is of type "foo".

Anothe question: is the idea possible with the two placehoders to fill in
and have the system decide upon clicking the tick/Add, if it is to be a tag
or a field, i.e based on if one or both placeholders were filled?

BTW, what would happen if one simply ditched the special tags field and
only used general fields but with a default value "tag" for whenever no
other name/attribute was specified.?

<:-)