Hi Jed

Tobias is correct; widgets shouldn't modify the tiddler store during
rendering or refreshing. Doing so can set up an infinite loop whereby the
modification to the store triggers another refresh cycle.

One way to approach this functionality would be as a daemon that runs in
the background doing it's work, configured by configuration tiddlers. It
would listen for changes to the configuration tiddlers.

Alternatively, you could implement it as an action widget.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Tobias Beer <beertob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jed,
>
> I'm afraid you might be moving into troubled waters.
>
> As far as I know, without being contained in a button or other
> action-triggering-widget — which is not yet implemented — you're not to
> supposed to perform write actions within a generic list widget. It's
> merely intended to output, not update tiddlers.
>
> So, yes, the functionality is useful.
> Only just, it should be triggered via any user interaction other than
> "display this content".
>
> Also, as asked here
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/KakzBdIhywY/Ll6zEvoU_D4J>...
>
> Doesn't $action-setfield cater for this very need?
>

> http://tiddlywiki.com/#ActionSetFieldWidget
>

>> And, if not, why wouldn't it?
>

> Perhaps answer here, if you get to see this first.
>
> Best wishes, Tobias.
>
> --

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy.rus...@gmail.com