Hi Rick,

> I have done a very good job of explaining my wishes here so I created an
> example at journalexample.tiddlyspot.com.

Looking at this, I am pretty positive that what you want is to...

   - create a new journal with your custom button
   - in the *editor*, select the desired out of a number of predefined
   options for the fields *exercise* and *meditation*
   - save the tiddler
   - done

Seeing as we are talking about *typed fields* here, I created a new ticket
in GitHub as this is something I would love to see in tw5...

*typed fields:*
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1331

Best wishes, Tobias.