> In order to make the documentation clear and accurate, I've actually given
> this phenomenon a name: not all links are "observable".

Yes, there can be links to what is listed as an orphan.
The criterion is that an orphan is one that does not have any hard-wired
link-references.

Perhaps orphans are a bit of an outdated concept with all the listing
capabilities of these days
which wikis of some distant past might not have had.

Although, just being listed somewhere does not (necessarily) make for
well integrated content... tied-in with all the other knowledge bits.

Perhaps, rather than orphans,
what would really be interesting is a tab that showed the number of
backlinks for all tiddlers.
Then you could see which tiddlers are heavily referenced and not only those
that are not referenced at all.
So, on that "backlinks" list, orphans would be but one type of entry.
Likewise, an equivalent "references" tab might be interesting.

Perhaps it's time to say good bye to a dedicated "orphans" tab
which at best yields confusion or users never bothering to take a look.

Anyhow, how to sort tiddlers by number of references, backlinks, tags?!?
We may want a suffix to the sort filter, e.g....

[sort:count[tags]]
[sort:count[tagging]]
[sort:count[references]]
[sort:count[backlinks]]