Hello, all --

Is there a simple way to use plaintext data from wikitext, which can then
be fed into HTML (or SVG) attributes?  If not, could I lobby for one?

The gulf of execution here looks like this:

<!-- One of a series of thin SVGs used to compare characters' lifespans -->
<svg width="12px" height="500px" style="background-color: #FFFFFF;">
<$set>
*<path d={{||_GenealogyLifespanPath}}>  *contrary to what the docs suggest
<http://tiddlywiki.com/static/HTML%2520in%2520WikiText.html>*, this is a
text reference and not a transclusion, and silently fails.*
</$set>
</svg>

I understand why rendering WikiText to attribute strings could be a massive
headache for widgets, but I suspect that reasoning doesn't apply to HTML.

Context:

After using TiddlyWiki classic as a notetaking format for a few years, I
upgraded to TW5 a few months ago and have been going nuts with the
automation features.  I have a somewhat complex story wiki, and it has been
*very* helpful for eliminating information redundancy through transclusion,
generating chronologies and character lists, et cetera.  My latest pursuit
is finding a way to generate visual timelines and genealogies, and SVG
generation seems to be the best approach.

The lack of wikitext parsing in attribute string macros has tripped me up
many times before, and in this case the need to perform indirect
transclusions (ideally with the conditional logic and default values I use
elsewhere!) is making what I want to do very difficult.  I'm also lamenting
the apparent impossibility of using <$list> to generate SVG paths.

As a general bit of TW5 feedback, it took me a *long* time to grasp the
complex relationship between macros, widgets and transclusions -- and as
you can imagine, I'm still learning.  :)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/f13d7e5c-eed0-4ed9-8116-80ea37d72d03%40googlegroups.com.