Hi Mat

> That library, and also your CSV-JSON hack, seem to be for node-js TW, but
> I see no mention of node-js in PapaParse - do you think it might work in
> vanilla TW?

I'd expect both libraries to work in browser and Node.js; there's no
fundamental reason why not.

Accessing external URLs from a local HTML page is pretty much disabled by
>> browsers these days.
>>

> Hm, I was kind of assuming RSS was some type of exception (maybe using
> some ifram'ish mechanism but with a modifiable "parsing filter" inside).
> But what might PapaParse mean when they talks about download remote files
> <http://papaparse.com/#remote-files> to parse then? Shared servers?
> (Would maybe e.g a tiddlyspot-to-tiddlyspot work, or because the TW is
> presented locally, it wouldn't?)

I would imagine that PapaParse will be using XMLHttpRequest to download
remote files; if so, it will be subject to the same security issues when
used from a file:// URI.

> Is there any place where I can read up on how this works in more detail?
> I'm too bad at coding to understand it that way. I know it's been discussed
> in the hangouts but it would be great if is some explanatory text that
> mentions it's key parts so that I can look at the code and identify them,
> and read what they actually do.

The best place to start might be the original commit; you can see here the
various components that were added to make the plugin library work.

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/commit/8643278a452d1a300cec8d3425c1b18699a17dca

Do beware, though: many of those files were changed in subsequent commits.

There's also this batch script that is used to actually build the library:

https://github.com/Jermolene/build.jermolene.github.io/blob/master/make-library-bld.sh

> I'm guessing the plugin library only permits importing of
> tiddlers/plugins, right?

It's for listing and importing tiddlers; those tiddlers happen to be
plugins, but they aren't required to be.

> ...And node-js individual tiddlers, at that, right?

The plugin library can actually return more than one tiddler if it wants
(eg to handle dependencies)

> ...And is there some way to insert any url to such a tiddler and have it
> imported on command?

No, that's the point that we keep coming back to: there's no general way
for an HTML file running on a file:// URI to retrieve data from the web.

> Thanks for your patience Jeremy. At least I think these may be issues of
> wider interest, at least if I or anyone can make prototypes to show what
> could be achieved. Talk about RSS, not to mention federation, has of course
> been up before but so far we haven't come very far from a user perspective,
> other than the plugin importing which, to a simple end user like, seems
> like a special case where it's difficult to understand the greater
> implications.

I need more time to work on the federation stuff...

Best wishes

Jeremy.

The best

--